Skip to main content

even when you're not totally sure...just try it! Learn how to TRUST | Trapeze School of NY





Why would I sign-up to throw myself off a platform – 23 feet off the air?
Why would I do something that’s not even in my bucket list?
Since when did I have entries in my bucket list?

Just for kicks?
Temporary insanity?
Mid-life crisis?
Or is it because of the  “I am woman hear me roar” voice that keeps nagging me to just try it?

Or am I a kid-at-heart that trusts that there is just nothing I can’t do?

Well, I wasn’t sure, but I tried – and yesterday, I did it!


But I didn't do it alone! 

My friend who’s turning 40 in a couple of weeks (great age by the way – nothing to fear) shared a link (TSNY): Trapeze School of New York 

As you can see, the school’s motto: FORGET FEAR. – is exactly the first step to clicking the button to sign-up for your first class.

So early this month, I booked our first session. I figured my friend and I have 3 days before the actual class to back-out – just in case we come to our senses!

I was amazed at how tough it was to find a reservation. Who knew people have signed-up weeks and months ahead of time?

My husband suggested that I do a few strength exercises – aside from carrying the laundry baskets up and down the stairs, or moving the heavy Dyson vacuum cleaner around the house. So needless to say, I started Beach Body’s Insanity work-out!


The night before I was starting to question myself. “Why, oh why, am I throwing myself off a platform 23 feet in the air?”

But then…it dawned on me, I have to trust that I know my own strengths and limitations. At 47, I should know what I can and cannot do, right? And If I get there, and realized that I can’t jump off that platform – it’s alright. At least I tried.

The main thing you have to remember when you’re at these classes is that you have to know how to LISTEN. Not just hear the instructions – but actually be focused enough to hear!

The lesson took 2 hours. There were 9 students. The 4 before me were in the advanced program, and I was the first in line for the beginners!



I thought there will be a few dry-runs on lower grounds, but I was wrong. Instructions were given and before I can even digest which arm or leg goes up or down – there I was going up the ladder!

The harness was tightly secured around my waist (I hoped anyway) – it was so tight, my belly fat was screaming out of my tights (lol!) That alone, I believe, was the most embarrassing part of the whole lesson.

Once you’re up there you have to :
1) TRUST - others and yourself
2) FOCUS
3) LISTEN
4) JUST BREATHE - and of course, pray!



The first time you let go of that left hand to fully hold on to the trapeze bar, for me, was one of the scariest! But once I did my first swing, I had a feeling I would survive that first jump!

With the 2nd jump, who would have thought I would be able to do a back flip before letting go and falling to the net?





Of course my entire body was shaking – I was so discombobulated that I totally forgot to video tape my friend’s jump.

The 4th jump was about totally letting go and trusting someone I didn’t even know --- but trusting that he would catch me – and he did (the same went for the 5th jump).






On one of the sessions, the instructors were showing us how to position our hands for the “catch-and-grip” and he noticed my dry hands and asked, “What do you do for a living?”

My answer: “I’ve been a mother to four kids – 22, 20, 16 and 10!” (And quietly I added, “And how cool is it that I’m here?”)




But I wouldn’t even think of doing this if it weren’t for my friend, my fellow looney – Sonia. We’re two moms who will always remain kids-at-heart! Curious to see what our future adventure will be like!
In life, we have to have friends! I am blessed to have a wonderful family and friends.

The day wasn’t just about fun – it was a lesson in life: Learn how to LISTEN and TRUST others and yourself!

Sometimes we think we know our limits, but we don’t really know until we step out of the box and try it.

There are things I can’t imagine doing like driving at Route 22 in New Jersey -- that is by far scarier than doing the flying trapeze!




And yet, there are still a lot of things I would like to learn. I’m 47 and I’m still growing-up – still learning a few tricks here and there BUT one thing is for sure: I do all these for one reason: TO BE HAPPY.

So write down your goals – Dream BIG and Keep Smiling!



Comments

  1. Jenjen! WHOA, mama, you are so brave! What a fabulous experience to remember...well, pretty much forever. I hope your kiddos are SO proud of their superhero mom. Do you still feel that trapeze-breeze in your hair?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, yes - "BRAVE" is my new adjective!! My kids think I'm cool, haha! And it seems like my mind is more open to anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa Jen, that was some feat! Fantastic experience, I'm sure. Though I don't know if I'll muster enough courage to do the same. But great job girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness that is completley AWESOME and might I aded a huge YEAH YOU. Love this:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anne, it truly was an experience!
    @SassyModernMom, thank you.

    To all -- thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Completed my first 16 Week IsaBody Challenge: Believe You Have A Purpose

My family is what matters most to me.  I’m 51 and a mother of 4 (ages 14 – 26). I wanted to be healthier, more active and stronger not just for me, but for the people I love.  I wanted to set an example for my family that we each possess the tools to master our wellness and vitality. I've always been petite except when I was pregnant ( when I gained an average of 50 pounds per pregnancy - 4 times!) Over the years I had tried various diet and exercise regimens, and I did enjoy a degree of success, but the results were not to the level I hoped for, and they were somewhat short lived.   Achieving stable, long-lasting results proved stubbornly elusive.    Then when I hit menopause everything became more difficult.    My body stopped cooperating altogether, and I was constantly grumpy. My waist and hips expanded and I found myself napping in the afternoons.    I started to accept the idea that there would be this new, less vibrant version of me. I just completed my P

Immigration and Family: Will my mom ever get to see my daughter walk down the aisle

Last year when my father passed away in the Philippines, I went home and took some time to visit the U.S. Embassy in Manila to ask what the options are for my mother to return to the U.S. The consul reminded me of the 10-year travel ban. That on or after November 8, 2015 — not earlier – or 10 years after my mom, was deported in 2005 for overstaying her visa, I can email the U.S. Embassy and inquire about my mother’s approved petition. I asked if I need to file another petition, and she informed me I didn’t have to. I asked if I could… and she stopped me and said to ask everything on or after November 8, 2015. This is where I am, and where my thoughts are drifting as I celebrate this month my 16th American birthday. I am counting the months, the weeks and the days. My daughter is getting married in January 2016 and I would love to have my entire family, especially my mother, to be here when that momentous occasion happens.

SPICE-up a young child's development: social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional

Children are the precious gems of a family. When they’re young and innocent, they are like sponges that willingly and quickly absorb any knowledge and emotion. That’s why at an early age, we encourage our children to read, be creative, be happy and feed their curiosity. With all the technology and instant gratification that children get from playing video or computer games, asking a child to read a good book has been a challenge for some parents .     “Your children are not your children.       They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.       They come through you but not from you,       And though they are with you, and yet they belong not to you.       You may give them your love but not your thoughts,        For they have their own thoughts.        You may house their bodies but not their souls,        For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,        which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.” -                     Kahlil Gibr

Helping others surpass their goals and expectations

"It's not about the end goal. It's who you become by consistently pushing to the edge of your limits." - Robin Sharma Do you ever wonder why you stumble on new things?  Do you ever wonder why unsuspecting strangers cross your path? Do you ever wonder why your mind takes you to a direction you didn't think exist? I was walking to StarBucks to meet my husband when I noticed a sign...

Still shaky, skidded in snow, but so blessed my guardian angels are looking after me!

"Never again wonder, what to be thankful for..."   - Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life It’s yet another snowy day in New Jersey. Beautiful, yes but dangerous! In line with my goal for this month is to get back on schedule. I got up around 4am to get my 15yo ready for his Model United Nations conference. (Thankful that our neighbor offered to drive him to school by 5:30am ) I got my 9yo ready for school and I'm thankful that my other neighbor offered to drive him to school. I then drove my husband to the train station to Manhattan. I decided to stop by the Community Center and decided to run a fast 5K on the treadmill. I was 1 mile short because I was so sweaty and hot. (Note to self: dress lightly next time) While cooling down inside the car, I read Day 14’s chapter of Rick Warren's the “Purpose Driven Life” book. I felt really good because it just reminded me that there is always something to be thankful for no matter how awful yo